Colon Cleansing Tips When Taking Your Prep:
- Stay near a toilet! You will have diarrhea which can be quite sudden, this is normal.
- Continue to drink the prep solution as directed. Occasionally, this may involve drinking the solution while sitting on the toilet.
- Rarely, people may experience nausea or vomiting with the prep. If this occurs, give yourself a 30-90 minute break, rinse your mouth or brush your teeth, then continue drinking the prep solution.
- It is common to experience abdominal discomfort until the stool has flushed from your colon (this may take 2-4 hours, and occasionally significantly longer).
- Anal skin irritation or a flare of hemorrhoidal inflammation may occur and can be treated with a variety of over the counter remedies including hydrocortisone creams, baby wipes, or Tucks pads. Avoid products containing alcohol. If you have a prescription for hemorrhoid cream, you may use it. Do not use suppositories.
If you've misplaced the instructions you recieved during the time of your visit, or scheduled a colonoscopy through our Open Acess program, you may download a copy of the colon prep instructions below. Please note there are different instructions depending on the prep you were given. The preferred colon prep used by our physicians is EZ 2 GO PREP, however, you may have been given Suprep or Moviprep depending on your history. If you have any questions regarding the prep you were given or need clarification,please contact our office between the hours of 8:30-4:00 at (703) 435-3366 opt. 3, the colon prep instructions are listed here below:
Low Fiber/Low Residue Diet:
If you experience any discomfort while on a low fiber/low residue diet, we ask that you please contact our office immediately. Below you may download a copy of acceptable/unacceptable foods to consume while on a low fiber/low residue diet: